Monday, June 20, 2011

Endowed Chair Appears in Foreign Languages & Literatures

Not particularly well-endowed, but apparently a lifetime appointment.  



This chair has been sitting in a hallway in Faner near my office for months. The little note pointing to the SIUC identification tag explains why. Of course there are procedures for getting rid of such junk (presumably unknown to the author of our note, if the note wasn't just a joke), but these procedures are, last I checked, rather burdensome. Having posted this lovely picture, I'll have to reacquaint myself with them and see if I can take on the heroic duty of getting rid of this eyesore myself. This poor chair is well and truly broken, by the way, not merely torn, dingy, and without any tangible padding remaining on the seat. If it were merely old and dingy and worn out I'd have snagged it for my office, where it would nicely complement the other decor. 

4 comments:

  1. It's unfortunate that this is the case for most buildings outside Anthony Hall and the Physical Plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous,
    You forgot to mention state of the art football stadium and arena… Sorry fox; we need to “right size” our university by taking money away from academics (faculty, staff, students, classrooms…) and completing saluki way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave, your post made me LOL. Well done sir.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that says it all, especially the "respect" shown to Foreign Languages by higher administration and the attempts to whittle each language away little by little to complete the devastation begun by the great purge of 1973.

    ReplyDelete

I will review and post comments as quickly as I can. Comments that are substantive and not vicious will be posted promptly, including critical ones. "Substantive" here means that your comment needs to be more than a simple expression of approval or disapproval. "Vicious" refers to personal attacks, vile rhetoric, and anything else I end up deeming too nasty to post.